8.30.2011

Shirt Refashion Tutorial

So I recently refashioned one of my shirts for work
It was big and boxy and hideous
I refused to wear such an ill-fitting shirt
But my boss is being a stickler on the shirt thing this year, which I understand
So I had to fix them 
You can find my previous post here

I had a comment from this lovely girl Kalliemack
She suggested I do a tutorial
Well here it is....

Turn your shirt wrong side out and lay it out flat.
Make sure to line up all your seams on the hem and sleeves
yes I realize this photo is totally crappy :(
Next take a shirt that fits you well and lay it on top as a guide
Again, make sure your hem and sleeves match up perfectly
At this point I would use a water soluble marker and just draw an outline for sewing, 
but with a black shirt, it's better to use pins.
To keep things looking professional, measure the same amount on the sleeves and armpits to be cut off. This will keep your shirt from looking uneven or wonky.
Also try and make the sides as close to identical as possible.
So then you just sew where you drew your line, or put your pins.
I used a regular straight stitch.
I also backstitched several times and the hem and sleeves to give it extra strength and durability.
Last, use pinking sheers and cut off the extra fabric.
Turn right side out and marvel at your sewing abilities!
You can do this to just about any shirt that doesn't fit your form properly.
I did this on a previous refashion you can check out here

Now find all your boxy, frumpy shirts and make them new again!

Much Love~
Meredith

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Great recycle/refashion. I learned this from my sewing instructor. Stopping by from Reasons to Skip the Housework and your newest follower.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2011/08/isnt-she-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool ! Thanks for the nicely done tutorial too
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats great! I hate when shirts dont fit right!

    http://itsacowgirlthing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so awesome that I just had to feature you this week at my Hookin Up with HoH par-tay!

    Feel free to stop by and grab a button! You deserve it. :D

    xoxo

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!!! Found it through Pinterest.
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Meredith! I'm coming to see your blog after your guest post on Oops! Hope to enjoy some of your latest posts, and you can check me out here:

    silverrosesewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep newspaper cut-out patterns in 2 sizes just for this purpose--which means you don't have to lay out the shirt every time, and if that shirt goes away or anything, you still have the fit you like. I often buy T-shirts that are 2 sizes too large, then cut them down to fit me, a curvy woman. My patterns are in 2 parts--the body and the sleeve--because you can't always just make one seam up from hem at the bottom of the shirt to the hem of the sleeve. I also like to cut the necks out and hem them or attach the lower seam on the original shirt that gets removed during cutting the pattern out. I hate those high necks--they are equally unflattering as the straight up and down boxy shape of cheap T-shirts.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

Have a fantastic day!

P.S. I do my best to reply to every single comment I get, but if you are a no-reply blogger I can't see your email address to reply. Please change your settings so we can be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...