6.11.2012

Blog Swap with Crafty Meggy

Hi friends!! I have a special treat for you today! I am doing a blog swap with Megan from Crafty Meggy! She's super sweet and has a great tutorial for you, so be sure to hop on over to her blog and show her some love! Take it away Megan......

                                       ---------------------------------------------------------------


Hi to all of you Haute to Sew readers! I'm Megan from, Crafty Meggy, and I am so excited to be guest posting here at Haute to Sew today!! I found Meredith's blog at a link party where she pinned her pinterest inspired coffee table. I took a look around and really liked what I saw and contacted her. So here I am today! I thought I should introduce myself and then I'll share a tutorial for a cute twirly skirt that I made. First off, I am a mom to 3 wild boys, ages 7, 5, & 22 months. They keep me on my toes and busy all day long.... as long as I'm not working on a project! :) Now that school is out for the summer I'm going crazy trying to find things for them to do all day so that I can still continue my craftiness. My husband and I have been married for 9 years and are also partners in a photography business. He's the graphic designer and I'm the photographer. The perfect match! I have always been crafty and into doing crafty things. I started out paper scrapbooking in high school and continued it until I had kids. That's when I discovered digital scrapbooking. Have you ever tried it? Well, you need to because it is Amazing!! You can have your "mess" on the computer and not worry about the baby running away with the scissors. This past fall I got into making hair bows, even though I don't have any girls. I just needed to do something crafty and I have tons of friends who have girls and have been making bows for years, so I finally gave in. And I didn't stop there! My wonderful husband bought me a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas and I've been using it non-stop for projects and all sorts of things. My husband was yet again wonderful and got me the exact sewing machine that I wanted for my birthday in April! I've been enjoying it non-stop since. I recently signed up for my local Artisan Market (it's like the Farmers Market, but with mostly crafty booths) and I'm trying to build up my inventory for that. I'm mainly making girls dresses, skirts, baby bibs & burp cloths, and hair bows. I'm really excited about this new adventure and hope it will be a good experience!


Today, I wanted to share an easy tutorial for a skirt I made recently. I'm a beginner in sewing and this skirt was easy for me to make so if I can do it, you can too!:) I started out with some left over fabric from a dress I created for the 4th of July (you can buy it in my Etsy Shop here):
I made my skirt a size 2T. The measurements for that size are below. If you want it bigger you'll have to figure that out based on the measurements you get from your model:) For this project you'll need: 1/4 yard patterned fabric 1/8 yard contrast fabric elastic (about 20" will be good. I cut off 37" and had about 12" left over.) I used 1/4" thick elastic. I found this tutorial on Nap Time Crafters blog and she didn't give a width or amount so I used what I had on hand. Ok, once you have your fabric picked out, cut out 2 pieces of the main fabric to be 9x22. For the trim cut 2 strips measuring 1.5x36.


Next, with right sides together, sew up the sides of the main fabric and the trim. (Can you tell that they're sewn together? If you can't, just take my word for it:) hehe)



Now you need to make the casing for the top of the skirt. fold down the fabric a 1/4" then another 1/2". Press. I like to pin mine because I don't trust the iron enough:)

 
Sew as close to the edge as you can to make the casing. Leave an inch to feed the elastic through.
 

I put a bobby pin in the end of my elastic to feed it through.



After you feed it through sew the two ends of elastic together and then close up the opening.



So that the elastic doesn't move while wearing it I picked an inconspicuous spot and stitched it in place.


 Voila! You have the main part done!



Gather your trim fabric and then stretch it to fit the bottom of the skirt.


Once you have it the right size pin it to the dress with right sides together and sew it on. I had to adjust mine as I sewed.


And you're done!! Doesn't it look CUTE??!! It was so easy and fun I think I might just make more of them. I have this one for sale in my Etsy shop if you want to look at it there. The hardest part for me was adding the trim. In the tutorial at Nap Time Crafter she said to top stitch the seam line to help the trim lay flat. I didn't do that because I pressed the seam line the other way. I just thought it worked better like that, but I can totally see what she means now. Maybe I'll go back and press it up the other way. Thanks for coming by to see my fun twirly skirt tutorial! I hope you'll come visit me over at my blog. Let me know what you think of the skirt. Also, if you have any sewing tips or ideas for me, since I'm totally new to this, I would love to hear them!! Thanks for swapping posts with me today, Meredith! It was a lot of fun and a different experience for me. This is my first blog guest post! Could you tell?:) I hope you have a great day!
                                     ---------------------------------------------------------------

BIG thanks to Megan for swapping with me today!! Hope you all enjoyed her tutorial. Such a cute skirt!


Signature

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. awe, that is such a sweet little skirt! I'm gonna pop on over and visit Megan's blog, she sounds like a goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason all I see are little squares in the middle of the picture block. would love to be able to see what she was talking about.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

Have a fantastic day!

P.S. I do my best to reply to every single comment I get, but if you are a no-reply blogger I can't see your email address to reply. Please change your settings so we can be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...